This cake is so good! It's moist with a melt-in-your mouth texture! And it's so easy! Only one bowl to clean up when you're done. It also freezes great! Whenever I need a chocolate cake, this is the recipe I pull out.
- 515 g dark chocolate cake mix (2 layer size)
- 113 g instant chocolate pudding mix, powder (4 serving size)
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Chocolate Ganache (glaze)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 5 bittersweet chocolate squares, coarsely chopped (1 oz., 28g each)
- Grease 12 cup (2.7 L) bundt pan. Dust with cocoa (I don't always do this).
- Beat next 6 ingredients in large bowl on low for 2 minutes, scraping down side 2 or 3 times. Beat on medium for about 2 minutes until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into the bundt pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 45 - 50 minutes (the person I got the recipe from bakes it longer, but I find mine burns if I bake it longer than this -- it probably depends on your pan, your oven and elevation you live at), or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out without batter on it, but will have chocolate from the chocolate chips.
- Let stand in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes before inverting onto serving plate to cool completely.
- To make Chocolate Ganache: Heat whipping cream in heavy saucepan on medium until boiling. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate. Stir slowly for about 2 minutes until melted completely.
- Cool for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, but still pourable. If chocolate gets too stiff, set saucepan in hot water for 1 to 2 minutes until desired consistency.
- Makes about 1 cup ganache. I've also made it with semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips when I haven't had bittersweet. It's just a lot sweeter.
- Slowly pour over chocolate cake, allowing some to run partially down the sides. Let set before cutting.
- Cuts into 16 wedges.