1/1 Photo of Extreme Chocolate Cake
1 hr 15 mins
This cake is so good! It's moist with a melt-in-your mouth texture! And it's so easy! Only one bowl to clean up when you're done. It also freezes great! Whenever I need a chocolate cake, this is the recipe I pull out.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 515 g dark chocolate cake mix (2 layer size)
- 113 g instant chocolate pudding mix, powder (4 serving size)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Chocolate Ganache (glaze)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 5 bittersweet chocolate squares, coarsely chopped (1 oz., 28g each)
- 1Grease 12 cup (2.7 L) bundt pan. Dust with cocoa (I don't always do this).
- 2Beat next 6 ingredients in large bowl on low for 2 minutes, scraping down side 2 or 3 times. Beat on medium for about 2 minutes until smooth.
- 3Stir in chocolate chips.
- 4Pour into the bundt pan. Spread evenly.
- 5Bake in 350°F oven for 45 - 50 minutes (the person I got the recipe from bakes it longer, but I find mine burns if I bake it longer than this -- it probably depends on your pan, your oven and elevation you live at), or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out without batter on it, but will have chocolate from the chocolate chips.
- 6Let stand in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes before inverting onto serving plate to cool completely.
- 7To make Chocolate Ganache: Heat whipping cream in heavy saucepan on medium until boiling. Remove from heat.
- 8Add chocolate. Stir slowly for about 2 minutes until melted completely.
- 9Cool for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, but still pourable. If chocolate gets too stiff, set saucepan in hot water for 1 to 2 minutes until desired consistency.
- 10Makes about 1 cup ganache. I've also made it with semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips when I haven't had bittersweet. It's just a lot sweeter.
- 11Slowly pour over chocolate cake, allowing some to run partially down the sides. Let set before cutting.
- 12Cuts into 16 wedges.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Extreme Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.8
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 69.3 mg
- Sodium 396.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 24.6 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
bittersweet chocolate squares