Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is by far the best cake, one of my faves. and it's so easy. You can top it with cream cheese or cool whip, or serve it with a scoop of ice cream, but I prefer it by it's self. FYI the longer the cake sits the better it is.
- 4 cups chopped apples (usually about 6 Granny Smiths)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar (may want to add more depending on what kind of apple using)
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon sp. cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350. Mix all the dry ingrediants together, stir in eggs and oil. Then stir in apples and pecans. Mixture will be extremely thick.
- Pour in a floured/greased 13x9 pan.
- Bake for 45 - 55 minutes.
This has become my new go-to recipe for apples.....<br/><br/>We picked 200 pounds from a friend's tree, and I wanted a recipe that would use a lot of apples.... so I searched the internet for "extreme apple cake." This is the first entry that popped up, and I have now made 6 batches. The cake is moist, filled with apple pieces, and really tasty.<br/><br/>The things I changed a bit were adding 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp of cloves, 1/4 tsp of nutmeg, topping with sparkling sugar, and baking it several minutes longer. I found that having it be a little browner let the crust caramelize, and gave it a wonderful flavor.<br/><br/>I made the recipe into a 9x13 pan, then 2 loaf pans, then cupcakes. All have been wonderful. The cake keeps really well too, so it is great for gifts!<br/><br/>THANKS for the wonderful recipe!