Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These rolls are worth the extra trouble.
- 2 cups raisins
- boiling water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast (2 pkgs)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water (110 F)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 1⁄2-9 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 8 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1⁄2 cup regular margarine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or 3 tablespoons regular margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons hot milk
- Place raisins in bowl; add enough boiling water to cover. Let stand 5 minutes to plump. Drain off water; reserve raisins.
- Sprinkle yeast and 1 Tablespoon sugar over lukewarm water in large mixing bowl; stir to dissolve. Add ½ cup sugar, salt, ginger, 3 cups of the flour and eggs. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Cover and let stand in warm place until foamy, about 40 minutes.
- Add raisins and shortening to yeast mixture; mix well. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead until smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning over once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine 2 ½ cups brown sugar and 8 teaspoons cinnamon in bowl; set aside.
- Punch down dough. Divide dough in fourths. Let rest 10 minutes. Roll out each forth on floured surface to 18 x 8-inch rectangle. Spread each with one fourth of melted butter. Sprinkle each with one fourth of brown sugar-cinnamon mixture. Roll up like a jelly roll, starting at wide end. Pinch edges to seal. Cut each roll in 18 (1-inch) slices. Place slices, equally spaced, cut side down, in 3 greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pans, 24 rolls in each pan. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine heavy cream, ½ cup brown sugar, vanilla and 1 teaspoons cinnamon in bowl; mix until blended. Spread one-third of cream mixture over each pan of rolls after they have doubled.
- Bake in 375°F oven 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately. Cool on racks. While still warm, drizzle with Vanilla Glaze. Makes 72.
- Vanilla Glaze: Combine 3 cups sifted confectioners sugar, dash of salt, 3 Tablespoons melted butter or regular margarine, 1 teaspoons vanilla and 2 Tablespoons hot milk in bowl; beat until smooth. Add a little more milk, if necessary, to make a thin glaze.
- Farm Journal's Complete Home Baking Book.