This is the best buttercream icing I have ever tasted. I used it for my daughter's wedding cake. I made a double batch, which was enough to ice, border, and pipe small decorations on the sides of the cake for a 14" x 10" x 6" tiered cake. I think the whipping cream is the secret to making this icing special.
- Cream butter and shortening until fluffy.
- Add sugar, meringue powder, about half of the cream, and continue creaming until well blended.
- Add salt, flavorings and enough whipping cream to make the consistency you need.
- Beat at medium speed until icing is fluffy.
- You may substitute all shortening for the butter, which will give a pure white icing, but the flavor will not be quite as good.
- I used butter and real vanilla and the icing turned out a very pale ivory, which I personally prefer to a stark-white icing.
- The meringue powder gives the icing a light crust, but it remains soft underneath.
I'm a pro cake decorator, and this is a good icing for beginners, practice or "informal" cakes. I made a few changes to use for a wedding cake. First, add 1/2 tsp. extra meringue powder for a stronger foundation to decorate on. I also added a little more flavoring, 1/2 tsp. extra of each. If very white icing is desired, use Wilton's White White Icing Dye, it "bleaches" out the ivory color, also I used clear vanilla. Oh, and PLEASE use a stand mixer if you don't want to buy a new hand mixer each time you make icing! A food processor can work, but a stand mixer makes a much smoother icing.
You do not have to look any further for a butter cream icing recipe... I use this on all of my wedding cakes, special occasion cakes, etc. In the summertime, I reduce the butter to 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) and add the additional 1/2 in extra Crisco (vegetable shortening). It holds up in the extreme humidity we have here in our state, and keeps the icing from melting. I add 2 tablespoons of meringue powder and use only 8 oz. of cream... it whips up, does not get "aerated holes", and has a slight crust... that makes it perfect for the design work I use on the professional cakes. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, as it is one I have used for years... it is one which will give you a great reputation as a baker of lovely cakes.
Absolutely yummy and great to work with! I used an organic trans fat free shortening and it came out perfect!! Used this on your sour cream wedding cake.... holy cow......THANK YOU! *** Edited to add *** I just had to add that I made 2 diff. buttercream recipes tonight. This one and another one that is posted on youtube, cakecentral, etc....this one blows that one out of the water. It has a better taste and a much smoother, bubble-less consistency. This will be my go to from now on.