Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This is great for a holiday breakfast or brunch. It serves 10 and it can be prepared ahead of time and popped in the oven on the day of the event. My Mother serves this when the whole family gets together down at their shore house on holiday weekends. Options: add mushrooms and peppers or the like.
- 8 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 large sweet onion
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fry bacon until crisp but not burnt.
- Drain, and reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings.
- Sauté onion & green onion in drippings until translucent.
- In a bowl beat eggs with cream and seasoned salt.
- Stir in bacon, onions, and 2 cups of the cheese.
- Pour into a greased, shallow, 3-quart baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 F degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes until mixture is set (doesn't jiggle) and top is lightly browned.
- When almost done, sprinkle with remaining cup cheese and return to oven until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
I scaled this back to use 2 rashers of bacon as that was all I had left and I was only making for 2 of us and the DM and I thoroughly enjoyed this morning with some buttered wholemeal/wholegrain toast. I loved the aspect of being able to prepare this the night before though I did cook my bacon in the oven and sauted the onion in a little olive oil and also added a little grated parmesan that I had left over but didn't add any extra salt as I feel the bacon is salty enough and put in the fridge, took it out and let it sit till the oven heated up to 160C fan forced popped it in and 20 minutes later breakfast is ready (think I could have gotten away with 15 to 18 minutes with the smalller amount). Thank you Acadia*, made for Potluck tag.
Ohhh, so yummy! I cut this down to 2 eggs, and this is delicious! I used only fresh ingredients, and didn't find that the omelet was two moist at all. I love baking the omelet..I can prep, and then throw it in the oven while I finish getting ready for work! Gives me 20 minutes to dry my hair and put on my "face"! Love it!! Made for Potluck 2010.
This was good and easy to make but I thought a cup of cream was a bit too much for us. It made the omelet a bit wet. I followed the recipe as written other then I had frozen onions so I used a cup of those and cooked them before adding. I made this twice and the second time I used 12 eggs, 3/4 cup of milk and the rest of the recipe as written. This version wasn't quite as wet but still a bit wet.