Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
this recipe only makes 12..they freeze well..
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ground lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350*.Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- To make the batter:.
- whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a small bowl -- set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat the butter till light and fluffy --
- With mixer on high speed, gradually beat in sugar, and continue beating till mixture is very light and fluffy.
- Lower speed to medium, beat in eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended, then beat in lemon juice, and zest and extract.
- Lower speed to low, alternately beat in flour mixture and yogurt.beating just till blended.
- to make the syrup.stir lemon juice and sugar in small cup --
- Gently remove paper.replace baked cakes in tins, spoon syrup over the cakes.cool completely on rack --
- Handle the cakes very gently.they will be tender and sticky.
- Bake cakes about 20 minutes -- .
It had salt listed to put in the mix, however it wasnt on the list of ingredients, so I didnt know how much. So I didnt put any:-( And when I baked them, they came out more like muffins than cupcakes; I ended up throwing them away!!
I made these for my Sweetie, he is a soldier and I needed something that traveled well. He LOVED them!! I added a bit of raspberry jam to the lemon glaze to make them pink up a bit and give an extra flavor. I am about to make a new batch right now for him as part of his Easter Love! :-)