This is not a deep dark chocolate cake, I can tell you that it is extremely moist and very good, and is great even without any frosting, you may want to cut back on the sugar if using sweetened applesauce.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 tablespoon vinegar with milk to make 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate and butter for about 1 minute, then whisk or stir until smooth; set aside.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, applesauce, oil, vanilla and egg, then add to the dry ingredients along with the chocolate mixture; mix until combined.
- Add in mini chocolate chips and nuts (if using).
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until cake test done.