Recipe by Delish
I know there are a lot of baked ziti recipes out there but this one has double the meat. My husband loves beef and I usually end up putting in more meat than is called for. This is so hearty and delicious. I often like to add a can of drained stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes. I have also added a little bit of cottage cheese to the ricotta mixture to use it up. It still tasted great :) Make sure to serve with breadsticks or garlic bread!
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
Made this for Thanksgiving Eve, for out-of-town family staying with us for the holidays. A wow dish--thick, meaty, cheesy. Delicious comfort food, served with garlic bread and salad. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 42 ounces favorite spaghetti sauce
- 2 eggs
- 15 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (optional) or 1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, Italian seasoning or parsley if desired, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Drain pasta; add to cheese mixture and stir to coat evenly.
- Spoon a third of the meat sauce into a greased 9x13 pan; top with half of the pasta mixture.
- Repeat layers, ending with meat sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.