Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
from Better Homes & Gardens Tip: Be aware that this cake will not work with a refrigerated egg product made with egg whites.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour or 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup refrigerated reduced-cholesterol whole egg product or 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sifted powdered sugar
- 1 quart strawberry frozen yogurt or 1 quart ice milk, softened
- sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- strawberry (optional)
- orange strip (optional)
- of fresh mint (optional)
- Line a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan with waxed paper; set pan aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat granulated sugar, whole egg product or eggs, and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until slightly thick and lemon-colored.
- Add water and beat on low speed.
- Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in gently until just combined.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared jelly-roll pan.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until top is golden and springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto a towel sprinkled with the 1 tablespoon powdered sugar.
- Roll up towel and cake, jelly-roll style, starting from one of the cake¿s short sides.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; remove towel.
- Spread cake with frozen yogurt or ice milk to within 1/2 inch of edges.
- Roll up cake.
- Wrap and freeze at least 4 hours.
- Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
- Garnish with strawberries, orange peel strips, and mint, if desired.