Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
I just love VT's recipes. Here's one that contains protein, calcium, iron and B12. This recipe was from the March 2005 issue. NOTE: Preparation time does not include time to cool salad dressing after cooking. After reading this recipes first review, I added the reserved Mandarin orange juice to the list of ingredients.
Top Review by J-Lynn
This is really a great recipe; I'm always looking for vegetarian main-dish salads that are different from what I already make. I thought the taste of the dressing was perfect, but note that you can halve the dressing ingredients unless you want leftover dressing. The tofu croutons were spot-on for traditional crouton flavor, but not actually crispy. I will make this recipe regularly.
- 4 ounces extra-firm herb tofu
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
Salad Dressing (use 3 tablespoons reserved mandarin orange juice)
- 3 tablespoons mandarin orange juice (reserved from can of Mandarin oranges used in salad)
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 ounces Baby Spinach, rinsed
- 3 ounces mesclun, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained, juice reserved
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 (7 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 cup feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Tofu Croutons:.
- Preheat oven to 350F and bake tofu 20 minutes.
- When the tofu is dry, cut it into 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch cubes (about the size of a crouton).
- Beat egg in small bowl.
- In another bowl, combine flour, garlic salt, onion powder and black pepper.
- Dip tofu cubes in egg, and dust with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in nonstick pan or, for extra iron, in a well seasoned iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Fry tofu cubes until golden and crispy on all sides (takes about 10 minutes) and cool (if you're using an iron pan, watch very carefully so tofu doesn't burn).
- To make Salad Dressing:.
- Combine all ingredients in nonreactive pot (such as stainless steel, enameled aluminum or anodized aluminum - don't use a regular aluminum pan as it will react with the acid.).
- Cook over medium heat 2 until sugar dissolves (takes about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Pour dressing into a cruet or other small container and cool.
- To make Spinach Salad:.
- Place all ingredients in large serving bowl.
- Pour in half of dressing, toss until coated, garnish with croutons and enjoy.