Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Don't be fooled! These are also extra delicious! In addition to being full of veggies and heart healthy black beans, these also have the addition of cholesterol lowering oats. These are featured weekly in our home.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal, divided
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- combine the first 10 ingredients in a bowl and mash together with a potato masher (or use the back of a large fork) just until only a few whole black beans are remaining. then stir for another minute with a large spoon to make sure the ingredients are well mixed.
- let the mixture sit while you heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan.
- on a sheet of wax paper, spread out a 1/4 cup of the cornmeal evenly.
- divide the black bean mixture into 4 equal parts and begin flattening them into patty shape.
- press each patty onto the cornmeal and cover the tops with the remaining 1/4 cup of cornmeal.
- once they are coated with cornmeal, begin placing the patties onto the hot frying pan.
- cook for around 7 minutes per side.
- when finished cooking, allow them to sit on paper towels for a minute. then place on wheat buns and top with fresh guacamole or pico de gallo.