1/6 Photos of Extra-Flaky Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
These biscuits are folded, creating a layered effect. These biscuits are well worth the effort--tender and very flaky. For best results, use White Lily all-purpose flour. It is ground from a special low-gluten soft wheat and is perfect for making biscuits.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups white lily all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter or 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup shortening, cut into pieces
- 1 3/4-2 cups cold buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened to room temperature,cut into 1 tablespoon portions
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted,for brushing tops
- 1Preheat oven to 450° (500° if using a convection oven).
- 2Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3In bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- 4Cut cold butter or shortening into dry ingredients with a pastry blender.
- 5(Mixture will resemble coarse crumbs, with no large chunks of butter.) If butter gets very soft at this point, refrigerate mixture for 20 minutes.
- 6Add 1 3/4 cups buttermilk, stirring just to moisten all ingredients.
- 7Dough should be soft and moist; add remaining 1/4 cup as needed.
- 8Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface and knead gently about 10 times, or just untl dough holds together.
- 9Roll or pat dough into a 14-by-10-inch rectangle.
- 10With short side nearest you, spread top two-thirds of dough with 3 tablespoons soft butter, leaving bottom third, closest to you, unbuttered.
- 11Fold dough into thirds (like you would fold a letter) by pulling bottom third up over center and then pulling top third over middle.
- 12Turn dough so short side faces you.
- 13Pat into a 9-by-12-inch rectangle.
- 14In same manner, spread again with 3 tablespoons soft butter and fold letter style.
- 15Turn once more in the same manner.
- 16Pat into a 9-by-12-inch rectangle; spread with remaining 3 tablespoons soft butter and fold up.
- 17Work quickly and gently so as not to overwork dough.
- 18Pat dough into rectangle 3/4-inch thick on floured surface.
- 19Cut into squares with a sharp chef's knife.
- 20Place on pan, 1 inch apart.
- 21Lightly brush tops with melted butter.
- 22Bake in center of hot oven about 20 minutes (about 12 minutes in convection), until golden brown and firm.
- 23Serve hot, warm or room temperature.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Extra-Flaky Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.0
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 37.7 mg
- Sodium 433.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 4.9 g