Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe yields jucy, succulent chicken covered in a crispy crust that is not at all greasy. There is almost as much crust as there is chicken! Using vegetable shortening rather than oil gives the crust a snappy crispness. Use some of the chicken bits, removed from the oil, to make my Cream Gravy recipe!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts
- salt and black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 -3 inches shortening
- Rinse and dry the chicken parts with paper towels.
- Sprinkle the chicken parts generously with salt and pepper.
- Whisk thoroughly in a medium bowl the 2 eggs, 1/2 cup milk and the 1 t. salt.
- Mix together on a plate: flour, 2 t. salt and 2 t. black pepper.
- Heat the shortening in a deep, heavy pot or deep-fat fryer to 350 degrees.
- Toss the breast meat pieces in the flour mixture and then moisten thoroughly in the egg mixture. Lift each piece out of the egg mixture, letting the excess drip off.
- Roll in the flour mixture again until completely coated. Sprinkle each piece with paprika.
- Then immerse into the hot oil. Fry for about 15 minutes or until cooked "through," turning the pieces several times.
- Remove the pieces to a baking sheet lined with brown paper bag or paper towels. Hold in a warm oven.
- Repeat the process with the thighs and drumsticks, frying those pieces for about 20 minutes.
Excellent chicken. I used reg. Crisco in a deep fryer. The skin was very crispy. Only problem was chicken breasts took almost 1/2 hour to get done - legs and wings took about 20 minutes. Will definetly make again!
The skin was somewhat crispy & the inside was juicy,Even after double-dipping & I couldnt taste anything,Maybe next time I'll use more salt & pepper in the flour & on the chicken
I tried this recipe and a couple others to find a good recipe for the 4th since the sun in maine has taken a two week vacation right thru till after the 4th. This by far was the best recipe. Very flavorful and quite simple. My BF brought it to lunch the next day and said it was just as good if not better cold. Thank you so much for posting this recipe, I will be using this probably more often then I should.