Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the ultimate mac & cheese recipe, so cheesy and creamy, the extra big elbows hold all the cheese sauce. A definite comfort dinner. Kids love it
- 1 (16 ounce) boxof prince casserole elbow macaroni (they work the best they are extra big and hold the sauce the best)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb land o lakes white American cheese
- 4 -5 slices Velveeta cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cook box of macaroni according to directions while cooking, make sauce.
- melt over medium heat 2 tablespoons butter and then blend in 2 tablespoons of flour with whisk remove from heat.
- blend in SLOWLY one pint of whipping cream (done a little at a time to prevent lumps). If you cannot get whipping cream you can substitue heavy cream.
- put back on medium heat stir constantly once hot to touch but not boiling add milk, once this is hot to touch again, add white cheese one slice at a time so it melts break cheese up into pieces, and then add in velveeta also broken up, one slice at a time.
- Stir constantly so it will not stick or burn.
- drain macaroni and pour into large pan (deep lasagna size pan 11 x 13) pour melted cheese sauce over it and mix.
- Cover with tin foil and bake in 375 oven for 30 minutes.
I loved the combination of the white cheese and Velveeta!!! This dish is so smooth and creamy. Easy to make and everyone loved it. Thanks so much, TinaEmJer. I have put this in my "keeper" notebook. :-)
Pumpkie....This was delious. After trying several recipes for mac & cheese over the years I finially found one that we all loved. Way to go on this fantastic recipe. Thpse kiddo's are lucky to have a mom like you!!!
White land o lakes is a white american cheese