Prep 3 hrs
Cook 35 mins
;) Fun, fatty, and gooey--very well worth the OCCASIONAL(!) indulgence, but this should come tagged with a warning from the Surgeon General! (Husband's special favorite--when he makes this I get the pleasure of watching a grown man resort to giddy childhood!...Are they ALL like that?!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs hot Italian sausage, cut in 1 inche pieces
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage links, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 6 cups jarred pizza sauce (or your favorite recipe)
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3⁄4 lb pepperoni, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs prepared pizza crust
- Combine the oil and red pepper flakes in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large, heavy skillet, cook both sausages in batches over medium heat, stirring often, until browned--about 10-15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a large bowl; stir in the pizza sauce and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk 4 of the eggs until frothy; stir in the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses, basil, oregano, and pepper.
- Spoon 1/2 the sausage mixture into a shallow 6-quart casserole dish; spoon small dollops of the ricotta mixture over the sauce.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 the mozzarella; arrange the pepperoni over the cheese.
- Repeat with remaining sauce, ricotta mixture, and mozzarella.
- Cover dish with foil and refrigerate for 1-2 hours (the flavors will blend well).
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 3/4 of the dough about 1/4" thick; trim to the shape of the baking dish, but leave the dough 1" larger.
- Place dough over the filling, turn edges under, and crimp.
- Whisk the remaining egg with 1 tablespoons.
- water; brush some over the dough.
- Roll out remaining dough and cut out shapes with a small cookie cutter; arrange shapes over crust and brush with remaining egg mixture.
- Brush the entire crust with the reserved olive oil-pepper flake mixture.
- Bake the pie, uncovered, for 35-45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the filling is heated through.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before cutting and serving.