Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
We hold monthly soirees at my home and in the winter months, this is a winner. In fact, none of the musicians would come unless there is gluhwein!
- 4 (750 ml) bottles dry red wine
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 12 cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated nutmeg
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon, peel of
- 3 slices gingerroot
- 4 tablespoons rum or 4 tablespoons brandy, if desired
- In a heavy pot bring the water, sugar, and spice to a low boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Slice the oranges with the peel on.
- Add to the pot together with the lemon peel and ginger.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and nutmeg, warm up (do not boil- unless you want a non-alcoholic mulled drink).
- Whent he wine is warmed up, pour into a suitable container (I use my crock pot turned on Low).
- Add if desired 4 tablespoons rum or brandy.