Recipe by Prov31mom
These are my family's favorite muffins--they are always gone within the first day or two of making them. They smell so good coming out of the oven, the texture is great, and they are pretty healthy too! My kids have no idea they're filled with veggies. I always double this recipe. If I wasn't on a diet, I'd whip up a batch of cream cheese icing to go on top. Mmm, that would be good! NOTE: I've tried these with grated veggies and shredded, and both turn out excellent.
Top Review by averybird
I thought these were fantastic! Light and moist with the lovely taste of carrot and zucchini. I cut back to 3/4 cup of brown sugar and added the optional walnuts. Pulled early around 30-35 minutes. This is a great muffin just as it is, and it also would be great with raisins and pineapple bits added too, which I'm planning to try. A keeper for sure. Thank you Prov31mom! Made for the I Recommend Tag.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the flours, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg; stir in milk, oil and vanilla.
- Add egg mixture and remaining ingredients to flour mixture; stir until just moistened.
- Spoon evenly into muffin pan.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes until golden.