Recipe by chiclet
Don't let the title frighten you! The inside of your oven will be fine:)! As I surveyed the contents of my kitchen the other day, I saw all the fixin's for stuffed peppers, but I wanted something heartier. Using Joe Bob Mac's Brown Rice and Beef Casserole as my inspiration, I came up with this simple, tasty casserole. It is vegan, but regular sausages and cheese can certainly be used.
Top Review by Elmotoo
Can I rate this higher??? This is an awesome recipe!! I'd like to say I'd make it often but there's so many recipes, so little time as it is, lol! I made this w/sweet sausage (oops) in an stovetop to oven to table pot which worked great - only 1 dish to clean! For the pasta sauce, I added some basil & oregano to 1/3 tomato sauce. I doubled the veggies, meat & cheese but not the rice. I'm glad I did because otherwise it would have been disproportionally ricey. We're eating it, thinking of all the variations - different meat/soy alternatives, vegetables, etc. An easy recipe to double & add/edit with great results. A definite keeper! Thanks for submitting it, Chiclet!
- 1⁄2 lb spicy italian-style soy sausage, crumbled
- 2 cups diced bell peppers (red and green is nice)
- 1 cup brown rice, NOT instant
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 1⁄3 cup pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 cup shredded soy mozzarella cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Warm oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add soy sausage, and cook until it begins to brown.
- Add peppers, onions, garlic and rice; sautee until veggies begin to soften and rice browns slightly, adding a little water if necessary.
- Add vegetable broth and pasta sauce; bring to a boil then simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and crushed red peppers; pour into a 2 quart casserole dish and top with mozzarella, if using.
- Bake covered 45-50 minute (if you use cheese, you may want to uncover for the last 10 minute so the cheese will brown).