Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I came up with this recipe off the top of my head one night when I didn't know what else to cook. It's a pan Indian-Morrocan-Carribean-Florida thingy. Don't you just love fusion food? Fancy word for open the cupboard and cook with what falls out!
- 4 bone-in skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped (about 2 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (hot or mild, depending on your personal heat preference - DO NOT DRAIN)
- 1 can tropical fruit (pineapple, papaya, guava in juice; no sugar added - I use Dole, diced smaller than it is in the can,)
- 8 ounces frozen spinach, drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder (additional)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2⁄3 cup couscous
- In a large skillet, carmelize onions in oil.
- When they are about half way to carmelized, add the green peppers.
- As the onions and peppers cook, season the chicken with the salt, garlic powder, onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala.
- You may need to add more or less of these spices depending on the size of your chicken breast.
- The idea is to cover the breast with a thin dusting of spices on both sides.
- Don't overdo the garam masala-it's a strong spice!
- When the onions and peppers are carmelized, add the garlic and saute until the garlic is soft and you can smell it in your whole kitchen.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pan, meat side down and brown.
- Turn and brown the bone side.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- They will not be cooked through yet.
- To the pan, add the canned Ro-tel tomatoes (DO NOT DRAIN), lime juice and the diced fruit.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan so that the brown bits get into the juices now in the pan.
- (Deglaze it.) Add the drained spinach to the pan.
- Add the additional teaspoon of garam masala.
- Return the chicken breasts to the pan and nestle them into the spinach/tomato/fruit sauce.
- Cook, covered, 20 minutes.
- Remove cover.
- Add couscous and the reserved fruit juice.
- Simmer additional 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and the sauce in the desired thickness.