1/1 Photo of Exotic Nile River Split Pea Soup
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
With the exotic flavor of cumin and ginger, you will be loving this taste of Africa! Prep time does not include soaking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup split peas, rinsed and soaked for at least 2 hours (green or yellow)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 cups water (I add bouillon powder to water) or 5 cups vegetable stock (I add bouillon powder to water)
- 2 slices lemons, you can leave rind on or remove, your choice (1/4 inch thick or so)
- 1 cup tomato sauce or 1 cup pureed fresh tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream (to garnish)
- 1Heat 1 tbls. oil in heavy pot on medium high heat.
- 2Saute zucchini and red pepper for about 5 minutes till slightly softened. Set aside.
- 3Saute onion and garlic until softened in remaining 1 tbls. of oil.
- 4Stir in split peas,zucchini and red pepper, ginger, cumin, coriander, and brown sugar and coat with onion/garlic mixture.
- 5Add lemon slices, stock, tomatoes, cayenne, salt and pepper (you can add salt and pepper later, but I like to put it in now).
- 6Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until peas are tender.
- 7If you like your soup thin, add more stock.
- 8Take the pot off the burner, discard lemon slices (if rind was left on), and puree soup in blender or food processor.
- 9Season if you have not already added the salt and pepper.
- 10Sprinkle with coriander (cilantro leaves). Alternatively, you can add the cilantro before you put the soup in the food processor.
- 11Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
- 12This recipe may be doubled.
- 14For a variation, substitute lentils for split peas.
Browse Our Top Egyptian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Egyptian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Exotic Nile River Split Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.3
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 228.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 9.3 g