This will bring the tropic to you! Serve it on bread, in a cake glaze a chicken or over cream cheese as a spread. Love to see what you do with it! Will make about 8-10 (8 oz) half pints for gift giving or about 160 servings, 1 Tbsp. each for your own consumption. ;)
- 3 cups finely chopped pitted peeled mangoes (about 4 medium be sure they are NOT bruised)
- 2 cups crushed ripe bananas (not brown)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split in half Lengthwise
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package fruit pectin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 5 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon banana liqueur (optional)
- Crush bananas with lemon juice to prevent browning. Set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare boiling water canner. Heat 7-10 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- Combine mangoes, bananas and vanilla in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Add up to 1/2 tsp butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add entire measure of sugar and liqeuer if using, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- Carefully remove vanilla and ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed. Lable.