Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
I love lamb. This was posted in the PARADE (Sunday insert). I'm looking foward to trying it as it doesn't seem that difficult. I look forward to feedback :-)
For the rub
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons peeled and finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 crushed small dried red chilies (see alternate option below)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 finely grated lemons, zest of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Lamb
- 1 bone-in leg of lamb (6 - 7 lbs)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- Combine the rub ingredients in a small bowl, then rub them into the lamb.
- Cover loosely and let rest for 4 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F).
- Place the lamb in a shallow roasting pan.
- Pour the lemon juice and broth into the pan.
- Place the lamb in the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 350 degrees(F).
- Roast the meat, basting occasionally, for 1 hr 40 minute for medium-rare meat, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the leg registers 140 degrees(F).
- The internal temperature will rise as it rests.
- *1/2 tsp crushed red-pepper flakes can be used as an alternate for the chilies.
- If you prefer the lamb less rare, roast it 10 minutes longer.
This is really wonderful! The smell of garlic & ginger wafting through the kitchen - mmmmm! De-fatted the sauce and poured over the meat which I served on mushroom rice. Will definately make again - thank you!!