Recipe by BumblingB's
From Diane Mott Davidson's culinary mystery series.
Top Review by ladypit
This is a tough one for me to rate. The pecans on this are fabulous and deserve 10 stars. Not too sweet, great texture, just right. The vinagrette, on the other hand, is just so-so. I'd like some more punch. Maybe some citrus juice? It just had very little flavor and I would have rated it a 2/3. So combined I'm going with a 4. I've packed the extra pecans up for a treat for lunches for my children as they loved them so much. Thanks for a neat one to try, and for being my chosen chef for PAC 07!
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups pecan halves (1/2 pound)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups arugula
- 6 cups mixed salad greens (radicchio, endive, escarole)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325. Butter a shallow 10 by 15 inch jelly roll pan.
- Beat the egg white until stiff. Mix the cinnamon and salt into the sugar. Keeping the beater running, add the sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Fold in the melted butter and the pecans.
- Spread the pecan mixture in the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Using a spatula, carefully flip the pecan mixture one small section at a time. When all the pecans have been turned over, return the pan to the oven for an additional 15 minutes. Watch them carefully-do not allow them to burn.
- Cool the pecans on paper towels.
- (Only one cup of pecans is used in the preparation of the salad. The other cup can be eaten as a snack or frozen in a zippered plastic bag. These pecans also make a wonderful holiday gift).
- SHERRY VINAIGRETTE.
- Whisk together the mustard, sugar and vinegar. Whisking constantly, dribble in the olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash, dry and trim the arugala and other greens. Tear them into large bite size pieces. Just before serving, toss with the vinaigrette. Sprinkle 1 cup of the pecans over the top and toss again. Serve immediately.