Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This delicious carrot cake was the winner at our provincial exhibition a number of years ago. It is a winner at our house as well!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (I rarely use the nutmeg)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar (approximately_)
- In bowl: combine and whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and set aside.
- With electric mixer on low beat oil, sugar and eggs until combined, then beat on medium for two minutes.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Fold in grated carrots and raisins.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan or two greased round cake pans.
- Bake 325 for 50 - 60 minutes
- cool 10 minutes and turn out on wire rack.
- NOTE this is a very moist cake so be sure to cool on wire racks
- When completely cooled ice with Cream cheese Icing: Beat the cream cheese, butter, cream and vanilla until smooth.
- Add in icing sugar, more if necessary for desired consistency.
I love almost all variations of carrot cake and am always looking for the perfect one. I really enjoyed this cake. It is so moist. I loved the addition of nutmeg. Very good! Thanks so much for posting!