Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This borscht (soup) is very different. I developed this recipe in Palm Springs, CA. The Kraft Catalina dressing gives the soup a most delightful taste.
- 5 fluid ounces kraft low calorie catalina salad dressing
- 1 large red beet, peeled and diced small
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 1 cup finely chopped rutabaga
- 19 fluid ounces beef consomme
- 4 cups water
- 10 fluid ounces canned tomatoes, including liquid
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed 1/2 inch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup thinly shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup thinly shredded green cabbage
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, chopped small
- 1 1⁄2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons dried dill weed
- In a large frying pan, add Kraft Catalina dressing, diced beets, diced carrots, chopped onion, chopped rutabaga, cover and cook on medium-high heat until vegetables are barely tender, about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to a large cooking saucepan.
- Add beef consomee', water, crushed tomatoes, cubed potatoes, caraway seed, red and green thinly sliced cabbage, chopped celery, cauliflower florets, black pepper, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Add soy sauce and dill weed and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve hot with dollops of sour cream or yogurt if desired.