Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Sassy! The flavors of caribe (crushed Northern New Mexico red chile) brings a new twist to this elegant appetizer. You guessed it-from "Hotter Than Hell".
for the escargots
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 36 large canned escargot
- 1 cup margarita jalapeno salsa
- 2 tablespoons crushed New Mexico red chilies (caribe)
- 12 (6 inch) flour tortillas or 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas or 1 loaf French bread
for the salsa
- 1⁄2 cup cubed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped white onions or 1⁄2 cup red onion
- 4 fresh jalapeno chilies, very finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup gold tequila or 1⁄4 cup white tequila
- Make salsa:.
- Combine all ingredients and let stand at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 425°. Melt butter in a skillet, add garlic, and sauté until garlic barely begins to turn golden. Place 6 escargots in each of 6 individual casserole dishes. Drizzle evenly with the garlic butter and spoon 2 tablespoons of salsa evenly over escargots in each dish. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of caribe over each. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the sauce sizzles.
- Meanwhile, warm tortillas or slice and warm French bread. Serve escargots with tortillas or bread for dunking.