1 hr 5 mins
This is our tried and true white chili that folks have raved about - this recipe has been handed out many a time. Very, very tasty! You can substitute cubed chicken for the pork, if you like. It is ABSOLUTELY delicious. :) I've made it, friends have made it... you should make it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/4 cup uncooked barley
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless pork or 1 1/2 lbs chicken, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained
- 1 (1 lb) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups canned green chilies, drained
- 1 1/2 cups canned white hominy, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 tablespoon crumbled cooked bacon
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatillos
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 -2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- 1Over medium heat in a heavy pot, sauté the pork (or chicken) and onion in oil and butter for 8 to 10 minutes or until the meat browns and onion softens.
- 2Add the rice and barley stir to coat, then stir in the cumin, salt, garlic, white beans, garbanzo beans, chilies, hominy, Tabasco, crumbled bacon, chicken broth, tomatillos, lime juice, and basil.
- 3Bring to boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- 4Serve each portion topped with about 2 Tbsp cheese and together with good, crusty bread and a salad.
- 5If the chili is too thick for your preference, you can add chicken broth to the desired consistency.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Excellent White Chili
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 470.7
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 59.0 mg
- Sodium 850.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 27.0 g