Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This comes from the net where it got rave reviews so I'm putting it here for safe keeping. Sounds very interesting, I haven't tried it yet but plan to very soon. If someone makes it before I do, please tell me how it works for you.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 medium onions, chopped (3 to 4)
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed with the blade of a knife
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Heat oil in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add chopped onions and 1 tablespoon sugar. Sauté onions for 30-45 minutes, or until sweet and caramelized.
- As the pan dries while onions are cooking, add red wine as needed. Once onions are done, continue to add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir until well-combined. Simmer over low heat for 4-6 hours (you can simmer for less, but I would simmer for at least 1-2 hours). Stir often to keep the sauce from burning or getting overcooked.
- Makes about 9 cups of sauce.
I thought this is a fantastic Maranar. I made it with my Chicken Parmesan and will never buy the jar maranar again. This was perfect. This recipe is written perfect and had great results. Thanks for a super recipe *Keeper* for me. (Made for PAC 08)
This is a very good marinara sauce. I have been looking for a good one for quite some time and decided to try this one because the ingredients were broken down instead of just adding "Italian seasoning". I did not add the red wine because my family does not like when I cook with it. I did however add romano cheese. I simmered the sauce with meatballs for grinders and they came out better than any restaurant or sandwich shop. Good standard recipe with a lot of potential. Highly recommend!!
i havent made this but its very close to the one that i make and i always get great feedback when i make it for company.