1/2 Photos of Ev's Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmigiana
different from the usual eggplant parmigiana. I'm sure you'll like this version. We do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 lb button mushroom, cleaned and sliced
- 18 large black olives, pitted and cut in half
- 8 ounces fresh spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1Trim and wash eggplant; do not remove skin.
- 2Cut crosswise into ¼ inch slices.
- 3Place on baking sheet, put a cup on one end of baking sheet to make it tilt (so that liquid that drains off will gather at one end); sprinkle eggplant slices with salt and let drain 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 5Lightly oil a 12 x 8 inch baking dish.
- 6Rinse eggplant and pat dry.
- 7Beat eggs in shallow bowl.
- 8Spread half of the breadcrumbs on large platter.
- 9Dip each eggplant slice first in the egg, letting excess drip back into bowl, then into the breadcrumbs, shaking off excess.
- 10Place slices as they are breaded onto a baking sheet.
- 11Heat ¼ cup of olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until rippling.
- 12Add enough eggplant slices to fin in one layer without crowding and saute on both sides until lightly-browned, 2-3 minutes per side.
- 13Transfer to paper toweling to drain as the slices become done.
- 14Continue, adding more oil if necessary.
- 15When finished frying eggplant, add mushrooms, olives and spinach to same skillet, reduce heat to medium.
- 16Saute, stirring frequently, until spinach has just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- 17Remove from heat.
- 18Make a layer of half the eggplant slices in baking dish.
- 19Spread ricotta cheese evenly over; sprinkle with Parmesan, then cover with mushroom mixture.
- 20Add remaining eggplant slices; pour on 2 cups marinara sauce and top with slices of mozzarella.
- 21Bake until hot and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.
- 22Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ev's Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmigiana
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 895.3
- Calories from Fat 553
- Total Fat 61.4 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 165.8 mg
- Sodium 1601.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 40.1 g