different from the usual eggplant parmigiana. I'm sure you'll like this version. We do.
Make and share this Ev's Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmigiana recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb button mushroom, cleaned and sliced
- 18 large black olives, pitted and cut in half
- 8 ounces fresh spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Trim and wash eggplant; do not remove skin.
- Cut crosswise into ¼ inch slices.
- Place on baking sheet, put a cup on one end of baking sheet to make it tilt (so that liquid that drains off will gather at one end); sprinkle eggplant slices with salt and let drain 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a 12 x 8 inch baking dish.
- Rinse eggplant and pat dry.
- Beat eggs in shallow bowl.
- Spread half of the breadcrumbs on large platter.
- Dip each eggplant slice first in the egg, letting excess drip back into bowl, then into the breadcrumbs, shaking off excess.
- Place slices as they are breaded onto a baking sheet.
- Heat ¼ cup of olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until rippling.
- Add enough eggplant slices to fin in one layer without crowding and saute on both sides until lightly-browned, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to paper toweling to drain as the slices become done.
- Continue, adding more oil if necessary.
- When finished frying eggplant, add mushrooms, olives and spinach to same skillet, reduce heat to medium.
- Saute, stirring frequently, until spinach has just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Make a layer of half the eggplant slices in baking dish.
- Spread ricotta cheese evenly over; sprinkle with Parmesan, then cover with mushroom mixture.
- Add remaining eggplant slices; pour on 2 cups marinara sauce and top with slices of mozzarella.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.