My children's favorite chocolate cake. The frosting is absolutely wonderful. I like this cake because I always have the ingredients on hand and you only dirty one pan for the cake and one for the frosting.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Sift dry ingredients into 9x13 inch cake pan. Make 3 dents, put the vegetable oil in one, vanilla in another and vinegar in the third. Pour two cups water over all of it and stir 50 times.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- When mostly cooled, make the frosting.
- For the frosting:.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, butter and milk. Boil - stirring constantly for 1 minute ONLY. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until smooth.
- Pour over slightly warm cake.
- NOTES: I always use a clear Pyrex cake pan to make sure all the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- There is no need to spread the frosting over the cake, it will smooth itself out.