Prep 55 mins
Cook 0 mins
My children's favorite chocolate cake. The frosting is absolutely wonderful. I like this cake because I always have the ingredients on hand and you only dirty one pan for the cake and one for the frosting.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Sift dry ingredients into 9x13 inch cake pan. Make 3 dents, put the vegetable oil in one, vanilla in another and vinegar in the third. Pour two cups water over all of it and stir 50 times.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- When mostly cooled, make the frosting.
- For the frosting:.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, butter and milk. Boil - stirring constantly for 1 minute ONLY. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until smooth.
- Pour over slightly warm cake.
- NOTES: I always use a clear Pyrex cake pan to make sure all the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- There is no need to spread the frosting over the cake, it will smooth itself out.
What a great cake! And so incredibly easy to throw together. This recipe gives you a perfectly moist cake, the texture is wonderful, and the flavor is splendid. The icing is delicious and again, easy to make. I followed the recipe as written, but I had to stir it a few times more than the 50 recommended (but I understand that the number is probably more like a guideline to prevent/avoid overmixing, which tends to result in tougher cakes). Baking time was exactly right at 45 minutes.
I would highly recommend this recipe to any and everyone, and my entire family has already told me that I had better not lose the recipe, as they fully expect me to make this cake again--that's about the highest praise and best recommendation any recipe can get...Thanks for sharing!! (I'll try to get a photo up if I can!)
This is a tender and tasty cake! No eggs, no milk, no butter but LOTS of flavor and a quick cake to make when you're having company for lunch! Thanks for the recipe!