Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Evil Jungle Prince was the first Thai dish I ever made, and was so good that we went into the kitchen and made another batch to eat right then and there! These days I make it with tofu, but chicken tastes better.
- 2 -4 bird chiles or 2 -4 serrano chilies or 2 -4 cayenne chilies
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 10 kaffir lime leaves or 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- peanut oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 lb tofu or 1 lb chicken, cut into pieces
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- Thai fish sauce
- thinly shredded cabbage or hot cooked rice, for serving
- Pound the peppers, lemongrass and lime leaves to a paste. (Or slice them with a knife, then salt them lightly, then keep chopping the pile until they are paste-like.).
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the paste; fry until fragrant.
- Add the chicken or tofu and cook until chicken is cooked through (or tofu is nice and hot). Add the basil and fish sauce to taste. Serve on thinly shredded cabbage.
This was a superb sauce, i used tofu but will use chicken next time.. Made this months ago and forgot to rate it