Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe was created and named by Keo Sananikone, for his Thai restaurant, Mekong, located in Hawaii. Keo's recipes are some of my favorite ones in Thai cuisine. This dish has graced the pages of Bon Appetit, Food and Wine, Bazaar, and both the Los Angeles and New York Times. I can't wait to give it a whirl!
- 1⁄2 lb boneless chicken breast
- 2 -6 small red chili peppers
- 1⁄2 stalk fresh lemongrass
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -3 tablespoon fish sauce
- 10 -15 sweet basil
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- Cut chicken in to thin strips (approximately 2 inches long).
- Grind together peppers, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves in a mortar or food processor.
- Heat oil to medium-high in a medium saucepan and add peppers, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves mixture, sautéing for 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk to the pan and stir well, continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken to the pan and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in fish sauce and basil and simmer for 1 last minute.
- Serve atop the bed of cabbage and enjoy.
Just an FYI, I worked for Keo's in Honolulu, my experience in making this dish is to add Sriracha Sauce, and approx 1 TBL brown sugar. I recall they also add julienne cut bamboo shoots to the dish. Typically served with stickey rice. There is a cookbook he published with the recipe, but evidentally omitted a few "secret" ingredients. I believe the sauce and sugar are 2 of a few...good luck! The dish is truly excellent.
I have made this many times adding bamboo shoots, aparagus, straw mushrooms, baby corn and beans. I have Keo's cookbook and I grow Kaffir lime leaves, galanagal, chili, lemon grass and basil so I can make any of his recipes any time. Prepping the ingredients takes the most time, the cooking is very fast and the fresh herbs smell wonderful. Thank you for posting
Delicious and so easy to make! I couldn't find lime leaves this time so I just made it without. Still totally tasty.