Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I modified this recipe from a tea smoked chicken recipe in one of my cookbooks. My husband dubbed it "evil" chicken because he couldn't stop eating it. I find it turns out best when you use a whole chicken. However you can substitute boneless breasts. I serve with steamed rice and broccoli.
- 1 (3 lb) broiler or 1 (3 lb) fryer chickens or 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed peppercorn
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 cup black tea leaves
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 orange, juice of
- Combine sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, crushed peppercorns, onion, tea leaves, orange peel and juice from orange in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour over chicken and marinade in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- If using a whole chicken bake at 350 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is done.
- If using boneless breasts I prefer to cook it in a slow cooker on low for at least 2 hours but you can also bake at 350 for at least 45 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Use remaining marinade from roasting pan or slow cooker as a gravy.
- (You may need to thicken).
The instructions are not very clear on how to use the tea and more specifically what type of black tea. We had tea leaf stuck all over the chicken and it made it inedible. The sauce was okay and probably would have been better without the tea leaves everywhere.