Recipe by KittyKitty
I got this out of a cookbook a few years ago. The apples beneath the topping are the reason for the name.It's super simple.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 grated lemon, juice and rind of
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1⁄3 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooking apples, cored and thinly sliced (I like golden delicious)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together the butter and superfine sugar in a large mixing bowl until the mixture is very light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat the eggs into the butter mixture, beating after each addition, then fold in the lemon rind, flour and ground almonds.
- Mix the brown sugar, apples and lemon juice, turn into the dish, add the cake batter, then the almonds. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden.