Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a refreshing relish that tantalizes almost every area of the tongue. Goes good with barbecued meats, spicy dishes or fish.
- Using zester, remove thin strips from skin of 1/4 of 1 lime.
- Combine in small pan on stovetop with honey, salt, cloves and hot pepper.
- Add garlic and vinegar; bring to a full boil.
- Quarter jicama, and remove skin and any excess fiber.
- Cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Thinly slice red onion into 1/4-inch slices.
- Peel cucumbers, quarter lengthwise, remove seeds.
- Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
- Cut melon to match cucumber.
- Pare pineapple, again cutting to match.
- Toss fruits and vegetables with dressing.
- Halve and squeeze limes.
- Gradually add the juice, tasting as you go; generally no more than 3 Tablespoons.
- Chill at least one hour or up to six.
- To serve, remove cloves and garlic; toss with mint or cilantro.