Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a refreshing relish that tantalizes almost every area of the tongue. Goes good with barbecued meats, spicy dishes or fish.
- 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper
- 1 -2 clove garlic, quartered
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 3⁄4 lb jicama
- 1 small red onion
- 2 small cucumbers
- 1 small cantaloupe
- 1⁄4 medium pineapple
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced of fresh mint or 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- Using zester, remove thin strips from skin of 1/4 of 1 lime.
- Combine in small pan on stovetop with honey, salt, cloves and hot pepper.
- Add garlic and vinegar; bring to a full boil.
- Quarter jicama, and remove skin and any excess fiber.
- Cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Thinly slice red onion into 1/4-inch slices.
- Peel cucumbers, quarter lengthwise, remove seeds.
- Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
- Cut melon to match cucumber.
- Pare pineapple, again cutting to match.
- Toss fruits and vegetables with dressing.
- Halve and squeeze limes.
- Gradually add the juice, tasting as you go; generally no more than 3 Tablespoons.
- Chill at least one hour or up to six.
- To serve, remove cloves and garlic; toss with mint or cilantro.