Recipe by These hands can cook
This soup is SO good to have around on a cold, winter's day or just any time of the year. I tend to tripple the recipe so that my family and I can have this on hand in the freezer and eat it for quick lunches or dinners. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 lb stew meat, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth (I use low sodium or make my own)
- 6 -10 cups water (I start with 6 and add as needed)
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 4 cups frozen green beans
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 4 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced into 2-3 inch cubes
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 5 cups v 8 vegetable juice (I use low sodium or sometimes spicy hot for a kick)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown stew meat, onions, garlic and celery in a large pot.
- Once stew meat is browned, add red wine and deglaze bottom of pan.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil, stir well.
- Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 1-2 hours until veggies are tender.
- Serve with sandwiches, crackers or rolls.