Recipe by Raquel Grinnell
We just call this "Mom's Rice" at home! Her own concoction, and so tasty that the grandkids request it every time they visit! You can't go wrong with sausage, nuts, veggies and the tang of olives. I promise, it will become your favorite too!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs loose sausage (Mom always uses Jimmy Dean, one sage, one hot and spicy)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pinch saffron, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup green olives stuffed with pimiento, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄4 cups pecan halves
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds, shelled
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds, shelled (also known as pepitas)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups rice (Mom always uses Uncle Ben's Converted Rice, white)
Directions See How It's Made
- Over high heat in a very large, heavy-bottomed pan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil with garlic and sausage until browned and crumbled. Add onion and saute until softened and translucent, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add saffron and turmeric and stir well. Stir in olives and cook for 2-3 minutes longer. Then add all the nuts and seeds and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add rice and stir in well to coat with the oils and toast a bit, 2-3 minutes. Then add the water, stir again and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer and cook 20-30 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Enjoy!