Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
The name says it all... everything you love about breakfast in one glorious dish. Great for breakfast, brunch and the occasional hangover.
- 1 lb sage breakfast sausage
- 3 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 slices white bread (it is best with a fresh, dense bread like pepperidge farms)
- 1 cup Cheese Whiz (or other nacho cheese sauce)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dry ground mustard
- maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook breakfast sausage in skillet over medium-high heat until browned.
- While sausage is cooking, grease a 8-by-10-inch baking dish and evenly distribute the bread cubes along the bottom.
- Remove sausage from skillet with spatula and evenly layer sausage over bread in the baking dish. Do not drain the fat from the skillet.
- Add sliced potatoes to the remaining fat in the skillet and turn occasionally until lightly browned. Add browned potatoes to the baking dish, evenly layering over sausage.
- Evenly pour/smear cheese wiz over top of potatoes.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and ground mustard, adding salt and pepper to taste. Pour over top of casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 for 50 minutes, until center is set and puffy.
- Allow to cool slightly before attempting to cut. Serve drizzled with maple syrup.
Hands down, the best breakfast dish I have ever tasted. Luckily there were 4 people eating it so I didn't eat the whole pan, but it was enough for 2 servings per person.