6 hrs 30 mins
American's Test Kitchen; use this filling for tostados, burritos, enchiladas, tacos, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1Microwave onion, chili powder, oil, jalapeno, garlic, coriander, and cumin in bowl, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- 2Stir tomato sauce and sugar into slow cooker.
- 3Season chicken with salt and pepper; add to slow cooker, and coat evenly with sauce mixture.
- 4Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- 5Transfer chicken to a large bowl; let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces; cover to keep warm.
- 6Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- 7Toss shredded chicken with 1 cup braising liquid; add more liquid as needed to keep meat moist and flavorful.
- 8Stir in lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9*Filling can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month; if frozen, let filling thaw completely before using.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Everyday Shredded Chicken Filling
Serving Size: 1 (1351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.5
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 167.0 mg
- Sodium 631.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 48.8 g