Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
American's Test Kitchen; use this filling for tostados, burritos, enchiladas, tacos, etc.
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Microwave onion, chili powder, oil, jalapeno, garlic, coriander, and cumin in bowl, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir tomato sauce and sugar into slow cooker.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; add to slow cooker, and coat evenly with sauce mixture.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Transfer chicken to a large bowl; let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces; cover to keep warm.
- Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Toss shredded chicken with 1 cup braising liquid; add more liquid as needed to keep meat moist and flavorful.
- Stir in lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- *Filling can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month; if frozen, let filling thaw completely before using.