9 hrs 20 mins
From America's Test Kitchen's "Slow Cooker Revolution". An easy and tasty way to make shredded beef. This turned out a bit spicy for me, so you might want to adjust the amount of chili powder. I served some over mashed potatoes and some in warm flour tortillas. It would also make good enchilada or burrito filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, minced
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and halved
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1Microwave onions ,chili powder, oil, garlic, coriander, cumin, and cayenne in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker. (You can do this the night before to make it easier to put together in the morning). (ATK used 6 qt cookers, I used a 5 qt and I think a 4 qt is large enough).
- 2Stir tomato sauce and sugar into slow cooker.
- 3Season beef with salt and pepper add to slow cooker and coat evenly with the sauce.
- 4Cover and cook on Low for 9 to 11 hours, or High for 5 to 7 hours.
- 5Transfer beef to a large bowl let cool slightly, then shred in bite-sized pieces, discarding excess fat; cover to keep warm.
- 6Let braising liquid settle and spoon off fat from surface with a large spoon.
- 7Toss shredded beef with 1 cup of the braising liquid, adding more liquid as necessary. Stir in the lime juice and season with additional salt and pepper.
- 8Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Everyday Shredded Beef Filling (ATK, Slow-Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (2147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 670.6
- Calories from Fat 299
- Total Fat 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 224.5 mg
- Sodium 1020.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 76.1 g