Recipe by duonyte
From America's Test Kitchen's "Slow Cooker Revolution". An easy and tasty way to make shredded beef. This turned out a bit spicy for me, so you might want to adjust the amount of chili powder. I served some over mashed potatoes and some in warm flour tortillas. It would also make good enchilada or burrito filling.
Top Review by cathyfood
I haven't made this yet, but I wanted to thank you for posting! I've looked for this recipe everywhere after watching them make it on TV. I can't wait to try it - it looks fabulous!
- 2 onions, minced
- 1⁄3 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and halved
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Microwave onions ,chili powder, oil, garlic, coriander, cumin, and cayenne in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker. (You can do this the night before to make it easier to put together in the morning). (ATK used 6 qt cookers, I used a 5 qt and I think a 4 qt is large enough).
- Stir tomato sauce and sugar into slow cooker.
- Season beef with salt and pepper add to slow cooker and coat evenly with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on Low for 9 to 11 hours, or High for 5 to 7 hours.
- Transfer beef to a large bowl let cool slightly, then shred in bite-sized pieces, discarding excess fat; cover to keep warm.
- Let braising liquid settle and spoon off fat from surface with a large spoon.
- Toss shredded beef with 1 cup of the braising liquid, adding more liquid as necessary. Stir in the lime juice and season with additional salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.