Recipe by CindiJ
My sons loved meat loaf growing up. While all 3 were teenagers at home I would often double or triple this recipe for one meal. Even the one that hates onions loves this recipe. This recipe is from my mom's Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook (1954).
Top Review by Toadflax
I can't see how this got such a very negative review. It's meatloaf, and a very good one. My family gave it a thumbs up. Sauce is delicious. Perhaps the reviewer put the meat in the food processor too and made it way too dense. In any case, don't serve anything to guests if you haven't tried it first.
- 2⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak bread crumbs in milk.
- Add beaten eggs, seasonings, onion (process in food processor to puree for picky eaters).
- Mix together well.
- With hands, gently add ground chuck and mix together lightly.
- Place in loaf pan sprayed with PAM.
- Bake in 350º oven 45-50 minutes.
- Prepare topping in small bowl.
- Pour over meat loaf during last 15 minutes of baking time.
- *The more you handle the ground beef during the making of meat loaf the tougher it becomes.
- **Edited - For different texture and taste sautee onion in a bit (1 Tablespoon +/-) of butter. Add 1/2 cup grated carrots (sautee with the onions) for a little extra punch of color and flavor.