Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Recipe comes from an old "Better Homes and Gardens" cookbook. Nothing fancy. Directions include optional directions for a gratinee.
- 4 cups large onions, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 5 cups beef broth or 5 beef bouillon cubes and 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 slices French bread, preferably from a baguette, toasted
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 5 slices provolone cheese (optional) or 5 slices other semi-soft white cheese (optional)
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, saute onions in butter until a rich golden brown, about 30 minutes; season with black pepper during this step.
- Bring broth or water and beef bouillon to a boil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add onions and salt; simmer, on low, covered, for one hour.
- To serve, place a slice of the toast in each of 5 serving bowls.
- Top with soup and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- To serve gratineed, place toast slice in each bowl, ladle in soup, top with slice of Provolone or other semi-soft cheese (Mozzarella, Swiss, Gruyere), sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Run under broiler for a couple of minutes until cheese melts and just starts to brown.