Recipe by Heather3271
This recipe is adapted from the November 2005 issue, which recommends using the freeze-wrap-freeze method: "Before wrapping individually, freeze burritos on a baking sheet so they don't come apart in the process; then put back in freezer."
- 473.18 ml rice, cooked and cooled (brown or white)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, chopped (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- coarse salt and pepper (to taste)
- 44.37 ml tomato paste
- 3 (1275.72 g) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 283.49 g frozen corn
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 473.18 ml monterey jack cheese, shredded
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, jalapeno, and cumin; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook stirring occasionally until golden, 10-12 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add beans and 1-1/2 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer stirring occasionally until thickened, 10-12 minutes.
- Add corn; cook to heat through, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in scallions.
- Heat tortillas according to package instructions.
- Fill with rice, bean mixture, and cheese (assembly instructions below).
- Serve immediately with salsa and sour cream, if using, or freeze-wrap-freeze (see above) up to 3 months. (Reheating instructions below).
- To Assemble:.
- Mound 1/4 cup rice, 3/4 cup bean mixture, and 1/4 cup cheese on one side of tortilla, leaving about 1/2 inch between filling and edge of tortilla. Fold sides in and hold.
- Starting from filled end, holding sides in as you work, tightly roll into a bundle.
- Place on a baking sheet, seam side down, and prepare remaining burritos.
- Reheating From Frozen:.
- Microwave and oven: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate; microwave on high for 3 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet; bake at 450 degrees until crispy, about 10 minutes. This is our favorite quick method.
- Microwave only: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate, covered with a microwave-safe bowl, and defrost at high power for 3-4 minutes; uncover, and microwave on high 3-4 minutes longer.
- Oven only: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap; rewrap individually in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet; bake at 450 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake to crisp, 5-10 minutes. (To reheat defrosted burritos, remove any wrapping and bake for 10 minutes.).