This recipe is adapted from the November 2005 issue, which recommends using the freeze-wrap-freeze method: "Before wrapping individually, freeze burritos on a baking sheet so they don't come apart in the process; then put back in freezer."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups rice, cooked and cooled (brown or white)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, chopped (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- coarse salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 ounces frozen corn
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, jalapeno, and cumin; season with salt and pepper.
- 2Cook stirring occasionally until golden, 10-12 minutes.
- 3Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 4Add beans and 1-1/2 cups water; bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat to medium and simmer stirring occasionally until thickened, 10-12 minutes.
- 6Add corn; cook to heat through, 2-3 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat; stir in scallions.
- 8Heat tortillas according to package instructions.
- 9Fill with rice, bean mixture, and cheese (assembly instructions below).
- 10Serve immediately with salsa and sour cream, if using, or freeze-wrap-freeze (see above) up to 3 months. (Reheating instructions below).
- 11To Assemble:.
- 12Mound 1/4 cup rice, 3/4 cup bean mixture, and 1/4 cup cheese on one side of tortilla, leaving about 1/2 inch between filling and edge of tortilla. Fold sides in and hold.
- 13Starting from filled end, holding sides in as you work, tightly roll into a bundle.
- 14Place on a baking sheet, seam side down, and prepare remaining burritos.
- 15Reheating From Frozen:.
- 16Microwave and oven: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate; microwave on high for 3 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet; bake at 450 degrees until crispy, about 10 minutes. This is our favorite quick method.
- 17Microwave only: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate, covered with a microwave-safe bowl, and defrost at high power for 3-4 minutes; uncover, and microwave on high 3-4 minutes longer.
- 18Oven only: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap; rewrap individually in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet; bake at 450 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake to crisp, 5-10 minutes. (To reheat defrosted burritos, remove any wrapping and bake for 10 minutes.).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Everyday Food's Bean Burritos (Oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (2815 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.5
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 25.1 mg
- Sodium 396.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.7 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 28.7 g