Recipe by JHope
A simple seasonal recipe that’s perfect for a cool fall night. From Everyday Food, October 2012 .
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 lb orecchiette
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds (halved if large)
- 1 bunch swiss chard, tough stems and ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, plus more for serving (grated 2 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water, then drain pasta and return to pot.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add sausage and cook, breaking meat up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to pot. Add parsnips to skillet and saute until softened and browned, 5 minutes. Add chard and cook until wilted, 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to pot and toss. Add Parmesan and enough pasta water to create a light sauce that coats pasta; season with salt and pepper. Serve with additional Parmesan.