Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A yummy-looking recipe from Martha Stewart's new Everyday Food magazine. I havent tried it, but if anyone does, let me know how it turns out. Cook time includes prep time. 303 calories 15g of fat 34.3g protein 7g carbs per serving
- 8 bone in chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup green olives, pitted and halved
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1 tsp.
- each salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp.
- of the olive oil over medium heat.
- In two batches, sear the chiken, skin side first, until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Cut the lemons in half lengthwise and then into thin slices crosswise.
- If the skillet is dry, add the remaining 1 Tbsp.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until soft but not brown, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in lemon slices, olives, stock, and 2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the chicken on top of the vegetables, pour in any accumulated juices from the plate, sprinkle with thyme and crushed red pepper.
- Cover and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Definitely 5-star! DH, who isn't wild about olives, even liked this! He enjoys the taste of olives, but won't eat 'em (hey, more for me!). The taste was totally delicious. I made this exactly as written, and it was truly piquant and memorable - I'd definitely make this for company (another dish to make for friends - yea!). The only thing I'd do differently would be to trim all the peel and pith from the lemons, so they can be consumed with the chicken. The lemon peel was a tad too bitter to eat, but this is a nit-pick. The dish is easy and delicious - great recipe, Cookbook Carrie!
Very lemony from the rind in the sauce, not too garlicky, and with a little heat from the red pepper flakes! I reduced the recipe to make two huge bone-in chicken breasts, added about 8 ounces sliced mushrooms to my skillet, and made my sauce with 2 cups chicken stock, but no additional water ~ I added a packet of splenda to camouflage the sharpness of the lemon! Made for Chef Shapeweaver's Cooking from the Pantry, Freezer, and Fridge Challenge, Feb/Mar 2012!
We really enjoyed this. Very flavorful and simple to do. I didn't do the sauce part, just cooked the chicken with the onion, olives, garlic & lemons. Will make again!