Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a delicious and easy coffee cake that my mom used to make frequently when I was younger! It's so simple to whip it up and toss it in the microwave! I've also made this using reduced fat Bisquick, applesauce in place of the oil, and Egg Beaters in the batter to make it a little healthier, and it still tasted fabulous.
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk biscuit mix (Bisquick)
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk biscuit mix
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In mixing bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups biscuit mix and white sugar.
- Add 1/2 cup milk, egg, and oil.
- Beat by hand, mixing well.
- Pour into greased 8-inch round dish.
- Blend 1/3 cup biscuit mix, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over batter and sprinkle with nuts.
- Microwave on HIGH for 5-7 minutes. (6 minutes always works perfectly in my microwave.).
- Cool 15 minutes; drizzle with fine glaze.
- Serve warm.
- Glaze: Stir together confectioner's sugar and 1 Tbsp milk.
- From tip of spoon, drizzle glaze over cake in spoke fashion.
This coffee cake was really good and I loved that it was made in the microwave! I used a 7-1/2 inch round pyrex dish I had and it worked well. I forgot to try it with the egg substitute (next time :D)..... I did sub the oil in the batter with 2 heaping tablespoons of applesauce but I did use the butter in the topping. It was just a tad dry without the glaze, but with some tweaking for my microwave I am still very happy with the results and my family really liked it too. Thank you for this great recipe, we can't wait to have it again!
Hi Kree, made your microwave everyday coffee cake, it turned out just wonderful.... I had short notice that company was coming over in the afternoon, I needed something FAST and easy, I spoted your recipe,and decided to give it a tr..., I was not dissapointed, for a cake made in the microwave, this turned out super, it was very moist, and had a wonderful taste. I have to admit, I was a bit hesitant, I have never made a cake in the microwave before, but I sure will be making this one again soon. Thank you for a quick and delicious cake recipe, we all enjoyed it very much :-)
Absolutely delicious! I want to share that if you've got a 1000 watt microwave to cook at 6 min, no longer. Maybe even 5:45 or so. My edges came out slightly tough but the center was perfect. Light and fluffy! That's why I say it'll probably work at less than 6. Also, for my fellow Vegans or any other who doesn't want dairy, I used Earth Balance (vegan butter), Ener-G Egg replacer and Almond Milk instead. I have to say that the glaze tastes just like that of a crispy creme donut. This did take maybe 10 min or so to prepare but glad it only took 6 min to cook. I will be making this often. Thank you for sharing. Oh, also I didn't use Buttermilk Bisquick, just the plain/regular kind. UPDATE Sept. 18, 09: I ran out of Bisquick but wanted to bake this. So I used a Bisquick substitute of: 1C Flour, 1TB Crisco, 1.5 T Baking Powder, 1/4T Salt. That made about 1.25C of mix. So, if anyone chooses to sub with this I'd recommend using 1/2C sugar rather than 1/4. Again, and as always, Great Recipe!