Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is from the Feb. 2006 issue of Vegetarian Times. I have yet to try it. From VT: These fudgy brownies are really quite light. Soft tofu is the secret ingredient- it moistens and binds the mixture yet, flavorwise, stays in the background. These freeze well and are even tasty eaten directly from the freezer.
- 2 1⁄4 cups natural unbleached cane sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup soft tofu
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate soymilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine applesauce, tofu, soymilk, and vanilla in a food processor, and process until well blended.
- Add tofu mixture to dry ingredients, and mix well. Scrape batter into prepared baking dish. Bake until batter is set and top is dry, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in pan; cut into bars and serve.
- Per serving: 124 cal; 3g prot; 1g total fat (0 g sat fat); 29g carb; 0mg chol; 128 mg sod; 1g fiber; 20g sugars.