Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from a recipe by author Dorothy Garlock, which was included in the book Midnight Blue. The cake was made in the story by Mara & Brita. This is meant to be served as either a snack cake or a dessert.
- 2⁄3 cup sweet unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated, to taste
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- powdered sugar, as garnish
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, beating in 1 at a time.
- Stir in vanilla and grate in a little fresh nutmeg.
- Combine dry ingredients (except powdered sugar) together in a separate bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in part of the flour mixture into the butter mixture, then add some of the milk, then stir in more of the flour mixture, repeating until everything has been added, beating after each addition by hand.
- Pour into a greased cake pan (square 9inch) and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 20 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Let cool, cut into squares, and dust with powdered sugar before serving.