Prep 35 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Weber’s Big Book of Grilling
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons whole mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 -3 meaty pork spare rib racks, trimmed of excess fat (6-7 pounds)
- hickory chips, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- Make the rub: in a spice grinder or blender, pulse the rub ingredients for a few seconds until the seeds are coarsely ground; do in two batches, if necessary; the rub should have a slightly coarse texture.
- Spread the rub generously on all sides of the ribs and let stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before grilling.
- *Follow the grill’s instructions for using wood chunks.
- Grill the ribs, rib side down, over indirect medium heat until the meat is very tender and has pulled back from the ends of the bones, 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing into individual ribs.